24 hr clock display, admin defined

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mouth, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

Admin option to have events displayed on calendar and details as 24 hr time (eg. 19:00)

Maddrax, teletubbi, xanin and 10 others like this.
  2. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I would prefer this option, 24hr clock display would be a lot better.

If not 24hr, I think least 'am' and 'pm' should be displayed on the calendar view, having 10a and 10p looks like a flat number and the price of entry lol :p

3. rob

rob Member

I definitely prefer 24Hr but perhaps this addon could reference the board settings?

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Administrator Staff Member

I played with this and 24 hour is quite ugly and odd to look at, and the board settings won't work. Seems moment doesn't like the PHP formatting of time.

5. glukomonter

glukomonter New Member

Vote for adding 24hr support, am/pm for me is headache.

6. tmc

tmc New Member

Add me to the list of people wanting to see this added at some point. 12-hour clock would cause some confusion among (some of) my users

7. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

Yes, shouldn't override time format defined within the chosen language. (eg. /admin.php?languages/english-uk.2/edit )

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    xanin and alfa1 like this.
  8. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

We use 24 hour format in Europe. AM/PM is meaningless here. Just like 24hr is odd to look at for US, AM/PM is odd to look at for other Europeans.

thomas1 and Simon like this.
  9. Lisa

Lisa Member

We do?

AM/PM looks perfectly normal to me. I vote to keep AM/PM. I'm not in the military, I have no need of a 24hour time.

10. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

No one is saying not to keep AM and PM, the suggestion is for a 24hr display option, so if you want to keep AM/PM then you can and then those that prefer 24hr, can have 24hr. If there is an option for 24hr display, it doesn't mean you have to use it, so voting against it as an option is unfair to those that would prefer it. Also, 24hr isn't just a military thing, every adult I know uses 24hr display.

thomas1 and alfa1 like this.
  11. Lisa

Lisa Member

Again, I don't and no one I know does either. And since I'm an adult and we're both discussing this here, every adult you know clearly doesn't use it :p

How was voting to keep AM/PM a vote against adding 24 hour? Don't put meanings to my words that aren't there, and I'll return the favour.

12. TJA

TJA Member

What do we want? 24hr. When do we want it? NOW!!

Only kidding, yes personally I prefer to read a 24hr clock, do I use it day to day when talking or typing? sometimes. Is it a necessary function, not really. The dev has already stated it he's tried it but doesn't look right, see post #4.

Yeah cool I'll see you at the pub at Nineteen Hundred Hours and Forty Five Minutes
    Yeah cool I'll see you at the pub at Seven Forty Five pm

I think if we all paid attention to what we said I'm sure you'll notice not everyone uses 24hr.

Lisa likes this.
  13. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I apologize, but saying "I vote to keep AM/PM" when no one is voting to remove it, makes the vote unnecessary, so it would then imply that you were voting against a 24hr display option, otherwise there is no point in saying "I vote to keep AM/PM". I hope you can see how I would attach that meaning to your words :)

14. Lisa

Lisa Member

Nope. It's a phrase, I was voting to keep it - as in don't get rid of it. There was no comment about voting not to even consider 24 hr.. . .so no I don't. :p

15. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

The 24hr display is beneficial for reading time, not orally telling someone the time, the same way that writing 7.45 is better than writing seven forty five, so kind of a moot point. Also, if you said to me "I'll see you at the pub at seven forty five", you wouldn't have to tell me PM because pubs are generally not open at 7.45am lol

16. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

Again, no one was voting to get rid of it! So voting to keep it was pointless! :p ......and ultimately suggests the vote is against 24hr! lol

17. Lisa

Lisa Member

Only in your world :D

18. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Stop the presses! You're from the UK and consider yourself a European? :D
    So far, many Brits have proclaimed Europe and overseas thing that excludes Britain by definition.

But yeah, I want to have an option for those users who are not accustomed to AM/PM.

glukomonter likes this.
  19. Lisa

Lisa Member

Hell, no! :D
    Jusst because the British people (or a lot of us, anyway) don't want to be a part of the EU currently we are so therefore, whether I like it or not, we are European. And no, I don't like it!!!

20. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Well, you drive on the wrong side of the road, have crazy roundabouts and unlike the mainland you dont use the metric system, so I am not surprised you are confused about the clock as well. :p
    :D :D :D

Kintaro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.