Implemented Allow all to invite

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by rob, Aug 28, 2015.

1. rob

rob Member

I cant see if this has been discussed yet but I cant invite people to events I do not "own".
    I might see an event thats useful for someone I know and I might want to invite them.
    Has the ability for anyone to invite to any event been considered?

Mouth likes this.
  2. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

OK, but if you had an event that you owned and you invited all the people that you wanted to attend, but then, suddenly, some random dude :cool: you hadn't even invited started inviting a load of people that you didn't :eek:

...seems a bit party crashy to me lol

I think a better solution for this scenario would just be to provide the person you wanted to 'invite' a link, so they could check the event out and contact the owner for an invite.

Also, check this suggestion out (mainly my bit) because it could provide another solution to this scenario...

"Private / Closed" Events

3. rob

rob Member

Hi, I can totally see your own use case example, but please remember other people have other use cases.

Imagine a business forum that has tons of networking events listed - naturally networking events attract many people, many of whom would want to invite others. I get that not all events want invitations made by just anybody.... however, don't be naive to think that all events are the same.

For me personally, my website lists training events, conferences and exhibitions - most of these events are absolutely suitable for ANYONE to invite anyone. Since we sell the event listings, then it is an extra selling point, for anyone (ie, some of our staff, or employees of the event itself) to be able to invite people as it will enhance the reach.

I'm sure there is a lot of value in adding this feature and it will be useful to a lot of people. It needs to be optional though - perhaps even at the event level.

4. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

Thanks for the insult, but I don't think all events are the same, this is why I pointed you to the other suggestion that would be a solution for what you want.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Administrator Staff Member

Again, the suggestion you linked would not implement or resolve the suggestion at hand.

rob, it is a user group permission: "Invite users to any event."

rob and Mouth like this.
  6. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I think what I linked to does offer a solution. (I linked to my post). If the events were set to "Public" - Anyone can view and RSVP. Then Rob could send people a link to the event and they could RSVP that way. I didn't say it would be exactly what he wanted, as in being able to send direct invites, but it could be a solution for it...

"Hey, check this event out......{link to event}"

Damn, feel like I'm not allowed to offer other possible solutions to similar scenarios.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Administrator Staff Member

Your solution isn't a solution and lacks proper UX thought. The functionality rob wants (which exists) creates a lists of events you've been invited to and easy reference. What you suggest as a solution (which provides a completely different functionality) fails to provide anything similar.

8. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

9. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

I know its been implemented (great!) but just adding another thought (if the user doesn't have permission to invite others) ... they could always @ tag the user in the events discussion thread.

10. rob

rob Member

I wasnt trying to insult you Richard, sorry. I get the idea of public and private events but it's not specifically a whole solution to this. However, it appears to be in the core (well thought out Jeremy) anyway so not an issue now. Thanks for pointing out the different alternatives.