Alternate View

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Code Monkey, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Member

It would be nice if an admin can chose an alternate view for events. Unless your site is based around events there will probably be a lot of empty squares in the calendar view. So a list view like the RM or a forum might be desirable.

Simon, thumped, Eric_ and 8 others like this.
  2. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    thumped and Code Monkey like this.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy Administrator Staff Member

I'm just going to say... If I implement this, this is going to be a fun one...

4. rob

rob Member

The "upcoming events" view is my default view. The calendar view I disable... it's ultra ugly. I can only switch to this mod if an upcoming events, or a regular list view is added.

Fun Jeremy? hahaha, you love it :)

thumped likes this.
  5. Jeremy

That was a highly sarcastic comment... I'm not just going to throw a "page" in there just to get one in there. If needs to fit the feel of the add-on.

6. rob

rob Member

I didn't mean your implementation on a calendar was ugly, I just meant all calendars collectively that do that. Even on my Google calendar I use the list view.

7. Jeremy

Nah, I didn't take it that way. What I mean is that I'm not going to just create a separate list of events and such after I spent so much time working on making the events view so dynamic (with the calendar). If and when I add this, it'll fit the aesthetic and feel of the add-on. And let's just say, that's not going to be as easy as I'd like it to be.

8. rob

rob Member

Hi,

Yes, of course it would have to be in keeping with the add on - I never assumed it would look out of place, lol.

Forgive me for keep banging the drum, but I have to keep championing the merits of this; I think it would be a huge mistake not to include it. Google's calendar has an "agenda" page, where you can see all upcoming events in a list. Outlook's calendar has this functionality also. If you go to eventbrite's website and scroll past the header, you'll see event's in grid form, but never calendar based. If you click onto your event's, or a page's events in facebook you'll see them all there in list form - there is a calendar however in all of these, it's just not normally a default view and there's a good reason for that. Besides eventbrite, there's also bookitbee, bookwhen, bookingbug - all of them with such modes as default - although they also have calendars.

Don't get me wrong here, I hate when modifications add things for no good reason, but this is 100% needed - that's not just my personal opinion. Any website that is truly serious about listing events has this view, and it's usually default. Did I mention facebook, which has the most event listings in the world?

Yeah, I might be banging on but I do truly feel this is very important.

9. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

plus: filter them will be very easy

rob and empire like this.
  10. thumped

thumped New Member

Lack of an agenda / upcoming events page is a dealbreaker.

empire, rob and Kintaro like this.
  11. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

in my case upcoming event list and global map view, both filterable per categories and other options, are preferable to the calendar view.

empire and rob like this.
  12. thumped

thumped New Member

I think I should probably elaborate on this comment. I want to use this addon to replace XenAtendo for my site's gig listings - Upcoming Events | thumped.com. The people looking at these listings have zero interest in days where nothing's happening - all they want to see is an easy to read list of upcoming shows. For me to switch and have to break this list view down to a monthly (or weekly) calendar overview would be a retrograde step for the user experience.

xanin likes this.
  13. rob

rob Member

I have to totally echo what you've said there thumped - its pretty much the same story on my two boards also.

14. xanin

xanin New Member

Similar story here as thumped. Really need a nice listing page and not a half empty calendar for this to be something I can use.

15. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

with RC released I hope that Jeremy will now create the "Agenda"/Upcoming Events view. fingers crossed

16. thumped

thumped New Member

pretty please?

17. xanin

xanin New Member

Hope so. This is among several things I was hoping would be in the initial release.

18. Jeremy

1.0 is feature locked at this point.

As stated, this feature is rather complex and rather difficult to implement properly.

19. xanin

xanin New Member

I appreciate that. Its just that the current view options make this something I can't use yet. Hence I had hoped for this or a map view of upcoming events for v1. Better luck next major version I guess.

20. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

Jeremy I think that a basic upcoming event/agenda like the sidebar widget but "larger" (and maybe with some more info) could be a very good starting point and I hope quite easy to implement.

thumped likes this.