Not Planned Assign multiple events to the same thread

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Eric_, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Eric_

Eric_ New Member

Would be great to have the option to assign multiple events to the same thread.

For example, a game is released in various regions and/or on various platforms on different dates, resulting in many events for which you only want to have one thread. That's just an example, it can apply to any release of a product, tour of band, roadshow, TV show, ...

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Administrator Staff Member

The structure and display of this will not allow such a set up.

3. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

At the risk of sounding like I'm beating the same drum ;), I just wanted to offer another possible solution to Eric_ 's suggestion/issue, which is......the ability to add multiple/recurring dates to an event...

Example:

Event: Avengers DVD release

Event Dates: 10-10-15
    16-12-15
    19-05-15

Event Description: Avenger DVD released in UK 10-10-2015
    Avenger DVD released in USA 16-12-2015
    Avenger DVD released in Mozambique 19-05-2032

Obviously this is just a loose example, but you can see how it would work because it would be 1 Event, 1 thread, multiple dates which would each be marked on the calendar separately and serve as "other" events

:)

Thank for listening, I'm here all week :cool:

4. Lisa

Lisa Member

Since I run a TV/Movie forum, I have to put my opinion in here on that. I wouldn't want it to all be in the same thread. They all deserve their own threads.

5. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

That's fine, but I was offering an example solution to Eric_ 's needs, it wasn't necessarily directed at TV/Movie event use :)

Your needs are already catered for, so no worries for you :p

6. Lisa

Lisa Member

It's not about my needs being catered for, it's about looking at things logically. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should. Having one thread for multiple events has the potential to cause more confusion than anything else.

7. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I'm not suggesting having one thread for multiple events

8. Lisa

Lisa Member

This thread is or didn't you read the title?
    assign.png

9. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I did read the title and offered an alternative solution to Eric's suggestion

10. Lisa

Lisa Member

Whereas I'm responding to the actual thread itself, but using the example you gave.

11. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

What? That don't even make sense to do that. Obviously if you quote me, I'm going to think that you are responding to me and my suggestion. lol

12. Lisa

Lisa Member

Pffft makes perfect sense. :p

13. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

Of course it does............in Lisaland

**Rides off on a unicorn** :cool:

Axel B and Lisa like this.
  14. Eric_

Eric_ New Member

Thanks.

Imo support for recurring events is a basic feature and indeed would be a solution for one type of issues, and issues far beyond of event-thread association.

Support for multiple instances of an event would be great too and solve other types of issues.

What we actually did was not using the thread association feature at all but instead just linking to the threads manually in the event descriptions.

Whether something deserves its own thread depends on many factors (forum structure, primary topic, level of activity, user preferences, SEO, ...). We could certainly come up with many examples for events that do not deserve their own threads but better share one thread.

Logically one-to-many relations do exist. Confusion is not caused by complexity or simplicity but by an inappropriate application of these. Currently we are forced to cause confusion because the options to deal with situations beyond the simplest imaginable do not exist. And having options is great.