Event status

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RichardKYA, Aug 28, 2015.

1. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

I think it would nice to have options at event creation/edit event, that allow the owner/event admin to set the event to "Public", "Public - Request entry/invite only" and "Private - invite only".

"Public" - Anyone can view and RSVP.

"Public - Request entry/Invite only" - Anyone can view the event, but they will either have to request attendance or be invited by event owner/admin.

"Private - invite only" - No one can view the event apart from event owner/admin and attendants. All attendants must be invited.

Big Iron and Mouth like this.
  2. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

But if anyone can view the event and its discussion, then surely attendance location/details will be known and they can just turn-up and not bother to be invited or request attendance?

How will invitee's get details of the event, to make their decision of RSVP, if they cannot yet view the event?
    I assume you mean "No one can view the event apart from event owner/admin and attendants, and invitees"

3. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

For events that have a fee or events that are not open to anyone regardless of a fee, surely you'll have a guest list? So, you'll set the event to "Public - Request entry/Invite only". If anyone turns up without being on your guest list, they won't get in.

You assume correctly.

4. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

You might utilise the requirement of an RSVP so that you can track how many people are coming (eg. it's a BBQ in a public park and you want to know how much meat and salad you'll need in advance). Or a bicycle ride starting from place xx but you want to have RSVP so that you now how many people are going to be joining you (and perhaps close RSVP's when you reach a certain number).

5. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

Surely for events like that, you would set it to "Private"? If you set a private BBQ event to either of the "Public" settings, you'd be an idiot and would probably end up with this happening...

Mistake leads 1,400 Facebook users to crash girl’s birthday party [video]

lol

6. Mouth

Mouth Active Member

Your an idiot, with a myopic mind of only use cases that suit you.

7. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Active Member

OK, how would you suggest these settings could possibly work?

How would you prevent random people from showing up if your event is set to "Public"? Surely it would be by having tickets or a guest list? If not, then it's a completely open event and anyone can turn up anyway, if it's not completely public or ticketed/guest listed and not everyone can just turn up, then it's private, right?

I can only think of...

Public - anyone can turn up
    Public: request invite/invite only - ticketed/guest list
    Private - self explanatory

That's doesn't mean I'm only thinking of what suits me, I'm just making a suggestion for these options because I think they cover most types of events. If there are other types, why not make a suggestion of your own that suits your needs?

8. BlueShare

BlueShare New Member

I agree with Richard that it would be nice if there could be public (open) and private events, similar to how Facebook works. With a public event, any registered member can click 'attending', then it would be useful for members because they would be able to see who else was attending, and plan to meet up before, during or after with fellow attendees.