Event types

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by alfa1, Jun 27, 2015.

1. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

We encounter different event types. These include concerts, festivals, conferences, seminars, workshops, trade shows, exhibitions, lectures, product launches, movie, private parties, retail events, markets, etc, etc.

It would be very useful to have a way to define event types, because each event type will need a different setup and caters to a different audience.

xanin, Kintaro, thumped and 3 others like this.
  2. rob

rob Member

In my opinion, this is not needed. The description fields support HTML and can simply explain the event particulars there, however I see merit in "prefixes" which could support your need for "categorisation".

I regularly list all kinds of events with xenAtendo including seminars, training days, conferences, exhibitions, movie showings, retail events and I've never required a different setup. Each event obviously has a different audience but that doesn't mean anything "setup" related needs done differently. People will choose to view an event, or not, just as they do with threads - if the title doesn't appeal to them they just skip it.

However, every single event can be either:
    • Offline, with a physical location (mapping enabled)
    • Online, with a URL entrypoint (mapping disabled)
    For almost all events, one or more of the following apply when it comes to bookings / payment:
    • Booking / Payment via URL
    • Booking not required - turn up on the day, and if required pay on entry
    • Other - ie, download a booking form and send it off
    Hope this helps :)

3. Nik

Nik Member

To sort of echo this, it definitely needs event types and/or categories and at the very least user selectable prefixes. Categories/types should have a nicely accessible individual class so we can skin them on the cal. On top of this a filter to add/remove certain event types (whether they're prefixes or other categorisations is a moot point for now) would be extra handy.

Big Iron and rob like this.
  4. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

...and different event types, I think, need to have threads created in different forum nodes.

Mouth, rob and alfa1 like this.
  5. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

To elaborate on this: what i am suggesting is a way to categorize events that allows events to be in multiple categories. So basically it works similar to a tag and allows the user to browse events per type.

6. praveen reddy

praveen reddy New Member

Categories of events listed on the side like Resource Manager would be great!. Difficult to see all the event types on just one calendar.
    On the side bar events categories (Tradeshows, conferences, webinars etc are required to go to that specific category rather than mixed with birthdays, holidays etc.)

Many thanks for consideration of this suggestion

Kintaro likes this.
  7. Big Iron

Big Iron New Member

Types, categories, and prefixes would all be extremely useful, with all three being the best.

Axel B likes this.